COLUMBIA CHOIRS – a 501c3 nonprofit organization – is an international award-winning, community based, non-sectarian family of choirs training singers in nine choirs, ages pre-school through adult. Since 1984, we have been bringing singers together for international award-winning music training and performance opportunities. We believe everyone can learn how to carry a tune and have a variety of opportunities to help our singers grow personally through singing. Approximately 250 singers come from 30 communities and 15 school districts to make music together.
An enjoyable, encouraging environment is the best learning environment.
All of our singers from early childhood through youth to adults deserve the best
leadership by professional musicians who positively motivate and inspire singers.
We believe in using membership in our choirs to inspire
CONSISTENCY, VARIETY, RECOGNITION, CONNECTION, GROWTH, and CONTRIBUTION.
We believe singers are special people and deserve the best possible music and training as they develop their talent for singing. The music we study and perform is carefully selected for its message content and quality of craftsmanship. Our staff teaches music and individual songs as landscapes of emotion. The combination of attention to the details of music (scientific) and using one’s voice to express the emotion (art) of music leads singers of all ages to broaden their awareness of themselves. We encourage and celebrate individual, personal growth at Columbia Choirs and deeply believe in the positive things our training does for our members.
— Steve Stevens, Columbia Choirs Founder-Artistic Director
Awards and Concert Tour History
- Gold Awards for choral excellence in the Montreal, Quebec and Vancouver Choral Festivals of Canada
- Award for Choral ExcellenceFestival of Music and Youth in Vienna, Austria
- Gold Medals in the International Choral Kathaumixw in British Columbia, Canada 1st place in the folksong and the children’s choir competitions
- Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod (Wales). The choir is honored with participation (four times) in this prestigious festival in Wales (1989 – placing 8th; 1993 -8th; 1995 – 4th; 2003 2nd in the World.
- “Choir of the Year” and two Gold Medals in the Bournemouth Competitions Festival in England
- Gold Medal (Women’s Choir division) ) Cantonigros International Music Festival in Barcelona, Spain
- Silver Medal (Children’s Choir division) Cantonigros International Music
- Two Gold Medals (Children’s Choir division) Golden Gate International Children’s Choir Festival in San Francisco, California, U.S.A. Mr. Stevens named most outstanding conductor of the festival..
- Selected for national recordings by Silver-Burdett Music Textbook Publishers.
- Recordings were used to be an example to children and to help school children throughout the world learn songs appearing in the textbook series.
- Children’s Choir selected to represent the United States at the “World Vision International Children’s Choir Festival” in South Korea
Board of Trustees
|President||Juli Rasmussen (email)|
|Vice President||Cathy Benson|
|Officer At Large||Satin Brennan|
|Officer at Large||Emily Davis|
|Officer at Large||Heather Ortega|
|Officer at Large||Sarah Robinson|
|Officer at Large||Glenda Smith|
|Officer at Large||Jennifer Yovin|
Columbia Choirs Association Bylaws can be read here.
The Columbia Choirs Association IRS Form 990 is available upon request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy.